Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Update:Focused Study

I am a little sad to report that the majority of research is finished for my final thesis. What I am writting in my
My final thesis is on what kind of person Shakespeare was/is and how we can see more of his personality and character in his later writings than his earlier ones. The first part of my final thesis paper is on how Shakespeare originally wrote his play's for the money. The first part of my focus correlates with Max O's so I have been stealing some of his ideas. However, reading the text book has also given me some great ideas that I listed below.

 

Text Book = $

In the text book in the prologue under “Early Life” we learn that Shakespeare’s father became poor and died when Shakespeare was younger so He came from a middle lower income family. Shakespeare became an actor which he made little money at. He had a wife and no money so Shakespeare wrote play's that matched the popular genres of that time to create the best possible equation that he could provide for his family. Shakespeare’s plays were written in Iambic pentameter, which was a popular form of verse at the time. In Shakespeare’s plays he included subjects that were on everyone's mind. One example is that the main focus of the play Henry v is arguments about land and how the monarchy of that time was trying to acquire more. When the play was performed the monarchy in England had recently enacted a law that there was to be no more public land for grassing animals. Many farmers in England couldn’t afford land for their animals to graze on so they need that public land; the new law negatively affected how the lower class was to support their families. This change upset many of the lower class in England. By Shakespeare depicting the king as trying to acquire more land it shows that leaders in England understand the lower classes dilemma. It also shows that even the monarchy fights over land, which authenticates the lower class point of view. Shakespeare depicted the Monarchy as valiant and superior which appeased them and He also validated the lower class ideals of fighting for land. England is a small island and so land is a commodity, thus land arguments are a topic that everyone thinks about regularly. Everyone watching the play could relate to the subject matter because the topic of land was fresh on everyone's mind. 

Recap

So what were the points that proved that Shakespeare originally wrote the play's for money?

- Shakespeare’s father died when He was young, so He came from humble beginnings. When He started writing plays He had little money and a wife that He needed to provide for.
- Shakespeare used a popular form of poetic verse and a popular genre when He wrote his first plays so he could improve his chances of people coming to his shows
- The subject of His plays was on a topic that everyone could relate to (arguments over land).

A Kick Back

To those that read my blog from class I offer some research help. I found the program that I acquired when I went to the Shakespearian festival in Cedar city. This could be helpful because you can contact people that have experience with Shakespeare and his plays and they could offer you advice on your topic. I haven’t had much success with advice from the contacts because my topic is more about Shakespeare and less about preforming but this could be beneficial. The website that the play program I acquired said to go to for questions is listed below with a link.  
http://www.bard.org/about/contact.html

No comments:

Post a Comment