Monday, March 28, 2011

In Search of Shakespeare

Over the weekend I had my wisdom teeth removed so I didn't do much of anything. I did watched the PBS documentary "In Search Of Shakespeare". This blog post is my thoughts and review of the documentary.


The Documentary is just was it is called … a documentary. It is one man’s exploration into questions about Shakespeare not to understand Shakespeare. As I watched the film I felt it had some great contributions to my foundation of Shakespeare knowledge.  It added a lot of little facts such as that Shakespeare was not just an actor during the “dark years” but he was also a teacher. I also got the idea that he was doing better off before he started writing than I originally thought. From the different biography’s that I have read I felt that Shakespeare was really struggling with money when he started writing however from this biography I think that he was doing fine when he arrived in England. This idea takes away from my argument that Shakespeare got into writing for the money for my final thesis. It doesn’t destroy it because the facts prove that Shakespeare originally wrote for money. But it does take away from the desperation that I originally thought that he was in. I don’t think the documentary pointed out all of the most important facts about Shakespeare; it left a lot out about his life. I also think that the show is investigatory and not a biography however it does tell a lot of cool facts and did broaden my understanding of Shakespeare. However if you are trying to really get an idea of who Shakespeare is I would recommend reading the biography in the text book, then read and watch his plays, then watch this supplemental documentary.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment