Friday, January 21, 2011

My learning Outcome (Feb edits)

 
Learning Objectives

This blog is for a college Shakespeare class. I began this class with very basic knowledge about the man and his texts. With my study of Shakespeare thus far I have been very troubled with the saturation of writing about him and his work. I have found that even scholarly articles cannot be completely trusted. We know very little about Shakespeare so we can’t completely discount what anyone says about him or his writing. I plan to get to as much primary information about personality and character of Shakespeare as much as is possible and put it in this blog or at least where you can find the information. 



1      Gain “Shakespeare Literacy.”

To gain Shakespeare literacy I will read one play for each of the 4 Shakespeare Genre.
I.“The Histories”: Henry v
II. “Comedies”: The Taming of the Shrew
III. “Tragedy’s”: Othello
VI. “The Romance”: The Tempest
-I am very interested in understand how to get the most out of reading each play. Learning why people read books is important to me because I didn't get into reading books before my mission and now I love books. Now that I am book "convert" im interested in understanding how to get people to love books. So each week I will have one post about a new tool or idea to understanding each text I read.  
-As stated above I’m very interested in understanding the character of Shakespeare so each week I will blog on Shakespeare Biography. As I study him I hope to understand his genius and his legacy
-For every play I will view a performance wither on screen or in person because Shakespeare's plays were meant to be viewed more than read. 


2.       Analyze Shakespeare Critically.

-in my weekly “understanding the text blog” I will draw on scholarly articles that offer more insight to the texts I read. I will also read historical information on Shakespeare and report that in understanding the Blog.
-I will also explicate the text myself to gain interesting information about it by looking at the theme, language, formal devices etc. Personal explications will also include literary theories and analysis of different “digital mediations” as found in the text book for this class.


3.       Engage Shakespeare Creatively

-Last week in Feb. I plan to act out a scene I have read or maybe film it and put it on my Blog.
-In March I will randomly recite Shakespeare in a public setting to determine if his writing is appealing or identifiable to people on the street.

4.       Share Shakespeare Meaningfully.

-Throughout my learning process I plan to regularly (at least 2-3 times a week) document my learning for everyone to see on this blog. I also plan to read two other persons blog posts from the class each week and comment on them.
- The last month of the class I plan to write a formal paper about what I have learned about Shakespeare from the primary sources and how it can affect the way we read him with regards to Shakespeare and my own personal experiences. In the paper I plan to explicate a text of Shakespeare that will include the critical analyzing discovery’s each second blog each week. This paper will also include the final of what is the best way for me to read Shakespeare. That way I can discover the unique reading I can offer and develop that so my end formal reading will be well established. My focus for this class is that while I establish a foundation in Shakespeare literacy, I will proceed to read what others have written on Shakespeare’s character from primary sources.  My hope is that between discovering my passions about Shakespeare and research others have written I can create an explication that will change in some small way the way people can read Shakespeare. I would like to get back to the roots of why Shakespeare wrote what he did and what he wanted more than anything for people to get out of his texts. I want to get to the roots so beginning level Shakespeare readers can keep a question in their mind of what the author wanted them to focus on so the reader can accomplish the authors desired goals of being entertained but also learning what the author wanted to be understood from the play because we know Shakespeare was a political writer as well as artistic.

My hope is that between discovering my passions about Shakespeare and research others have written I can create an explication that will change in some small way the way people can read Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment