Thursday, January 27, 2011

The more I dig, the more I realize im just scratching the surface

This isnt the first blog this week but it the first blog about the new text being read named Henry V so this blog will be about  how to get the most out of Henry V.
The play is the final part of a tetralogy, preceded by Richard II, Henry IV, part 1 and Henry IV, part 2. The original audiences would have already been familiar with the title character, who was depicted in the Henry IV plays as a wild, undisciplined lad known as "Prince Hal." I found the perfect way to catch up is to go to cliff notes under “Henry V”. Henry isn’t the main character in the other plays that lead up to this one. The cliff note overview gives you a good brief description of what has happened in the pervious plays as well as highlight important characteristics to know about the main protagonist Henry V such as that he plays as a wild, undisciplined lad known as "Prince Hal" in the previous plays. 
The next idea actually came from Professor Burton’s Blog. He suggested that we research the political history and that help to understand the play better as well.
As previously posted I try to find a short video synopsis of the play acted out but I couldn’t find one for this play. However I did find a few movies that were made as a result of this play. After I finish reading the play I plan to watch those and report on them to see if how bad they ruined the text (I have never found a movie to do justice to a novel. However the text was designed to be a play I have a mustard seed of hope so will see).
Because of the lack of video synopsis I read an overview from sparknotes. I spent some time reading the actual words of Shakespeare and the no fear sparknotes too. I choose to do it this way so I can learn how to read Shakespeare how its written and learn to explicate it and still keep track well of what is going on for sure in the play. One thing I should also mention is that I enjoyed reading the analysis done in the sparknotes because they pointed out some obvious points Shakespeare wanted to make from the play that I didn’t notice from my own reading. I think it gives a great foundation for the play. I am really enjoying this text and by taking the time to learn background information and using the guides out there for reading shakespeare I’m getting a ton out of the play’s… go cougs

No comments:

Post a Comment