Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Shakespearean Road Trip to A Shakespearean Festival

Explanation of the Shakespearean trip

Over the long weekend I was able to do a road trip to Cedar City where the Utah Shakespeare Festival takes place each year. During the months of Jun. - Oct. plays are held in the outdoor Elizabethan type stage called “The Adams Shakespearean Theater” as well as another indoor stage that Southern Utah University has built. During the festival a few of Shakespeare's plays are acted out along with others from different composers. The mission of the festival is “life-affirming classic and contemporary plays in repertory, with Shakespeare as are cornerstone. These plays are enhanced by interactive festival experiences”. Because the stage is modeled after the one during Shakespeare's time you can see how the plays could have been preformed during Shakespeare's era.

I took my trip on Presidents day so I was not able to contact anyone while there to ask questions but it presented a great opportunity to tour the stage for myself and take pictures and movies freely. What I learned most from this trip was mainly about the stage Shakespeare had to work with during his time and I got good contacts from an old program that I found. 

Here is a link to the Utah Shakespearean Festival http://www.bard.org/index.html


Helpful videos?


This first video is simply my first impressions of the differences I noticed from the person in are class that did her blog on the Elizabethan theater and the theater that SUU built. (You will need to turn the sound up a little bit to begin with.)












This Second video is half my being silly and the other half some sincere observations of The Adams Shakespearean theater.



Here are some pictures I took of the stage and I. I hope You can get an idea of what it is like there.







No comments:

Post a Comment